Saturday, August 13, 2011

Lobak + Pumpkin soup

My mum and I made lobak today. We followed a recipe from my great-aunt, who is an amazing cook. She whips up the best Asian food, I really miss her cooking... It is also called Penang Five-spice roll. Basically it's filling made of minced pork and other goodies, wrapped in bean curd skin and fried to golden crispy perfection. Or baked, in our case. Much healthier.

Filling of... gosh we added lots of stuff. Well, it's mainly pork mince, water chestnuts, spring onions, five spice powder, etc. The smell made my mouth water, and it's not even cooked yet!
Then we wrapped it up in bean curd skin... making sure to seal up the ends. All those precious juices from the meat will leak out otherwise.

Into the steamer it goes~ For about 15 mins before it goes to the oven to bake.

Here it is in all it's savoury goodness. I love the added crunch the water chestnuts gives the lobak. Absolutely scrumptious.

I also made pumpkin soup, which is so easy with a hand blender. The first time i used it pumpkin went flying everywhere, haha. But my Mum came to the rescue and the pumpkin went to mush under my stick blender, mwahaha.

Creamy, rich and smooth pumpkin soup, so yummy with toasted home-made garlic bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment