Sunday, September 11, 2011

中秋节

Mooncake festival is tomorrow! That was why during the weekend my mum and I were busy making mooncakes. Snowskin mooncake in particular, as the baked one requires a special oven and equipment and so on. Plus snowskin mooncakes simply taste better. We made three different types this year: taro, pandan and black sesame. Aren't they pretty looking?


After preparing, steaming and cooling the dough (which requires a lot of waiting. Patience is not something my mum and I have. We just want to get started with shaping the mooncakes!), it is ready to be formed.

Here are some of the pink dough, flavoured with strawberry.


It will be the wrapping around the black sesame filling. I made this paste from black sesame powder, coconut milk, sugar and added some toasted sunflower seeds for crunch.


Here's the mooncake mould. Always remember to flour it well so that the mooncake won't get stuck! It is very hard to get out once it's stuck. All you'll be left is a ball of mush. From personal experience.
And then you whack whack whack till the mooncake drops out. Best to do it gently or the mooncake might fall to the side and lose its lovely shape.

And taa-daa! A rose pink mooncake has formed. Just brush off the excess flour and put it in the fridge to firm up. Or simply eat it straight away like we did. =P

This is the yam mooncake, my favourite one.


And the pandan and black sesame. Black sesame is my second favourite. I was actually surprised at how tasty the filling was. Had to stop myself from eating them all.

I also made kimchi, because the ingredients are so cheap now! Only $0.99 for 1 fat head of chinese nappa cabbage. Who can say no to that? It requires 3 day of fermentation at room temperature, before going into the fridge and ready to eat. It tastes delicious now, can't wait to see how it will taste after 3 days. =DDDD










No comments:

Post a Comment