Sunday, July 3, 2011

Jaffa Semolina Cake

Today was such a cold and cloudy day, not a nice day to go outside at all. But a perfect time to bake! My mum was having some of her friends and their families coming over for dinner, so I baked a cake for dessert. I was rummaging through the cupboard for flour when I came across semolina flour. I had no idea what it was, so when in doubt, google it. It is a flour made from durum wheat, and used widely to make pastas and bread. But I wanted to use it to make a cake, hence a Jaffa (chocolate & orange) semolina cake was born!

I made some caramelised orange slices to decorate the top of the cake.

My cake decorating skills still needs some work...

But wow, this cake is amazing. The texture is totally different from cakes made with all flour. It had a delicate crumb, was moist and slightly tart due to the sticky syrupy orange slices. The chocolate and orange flavours balanced each other out beautifully, making it a fantastic cake.

Everyone loved it and was delicious served with vanilla ice cream. ^^

Oh and I also made some naan bread to go with my mum's curry. It was easy, quick and requires no yeast!


No comments:

Post a Comment