Saturday, June 12, 2010

Anko Mochi/Daifuku


First post! And first attempt on the red bean daifuku/mochi. Turned out pretty well! I was surprised at how easy it was to make. It was done under 10 minutes.

Mum cooked a lot of red beans, hehe. She was appalled at how little I actually need to wrap it up. "What should I do with all these red beans??" She cried. Don't worry Mum, i'll use it to make more for Friday. Red beans should be mashed up so you get a smooth consistency when you bite into it.


Mochi was so sticky! The dough kept sticking to my hands even though they were coated with three layers of corn starch. Stickiest things ever. That's why they weren't smooth after i rolled them up... looks so wrinkly... =(


I used warm green tea instead of water, as i do not have any matcha powder. I could not really taste the green tea, so next time i would either have to soak the tea bag for longer or buy matcha powder.

The recipe called for 150 ml of liquid, but i only added 100 ml because the mixture got too runny. Maybe 100 ml should be fine.



Tasted really nice, like store bought ones. Presentation was lacking, but the stickiness of the mochi, the subtle sweetness of the red beans, brother commenting on how weirdly shaped it is, and i was in heaven.

I want to try to make ice cream mochi next time. I'll have to use hard ice cream and wait for the mochi to cool down before stretching it. But yea, it doesn't look like store bought ones, haha.





No comments:

Post a Comment