Saturday, March 5, 2011

Ondeh Ondeh

Sweet potato Ondeh Ondeh. Yum yum. The method for making it is basically the same as making tang yuan, or mochi. How you can tell them apart is from the filling, or coating on the outside. It is a Malaysian kuih, but I never recalled having it before... Poh's recipe caught my eye and I decided to give it a try this weekend. After a busy Uni week, the best thing to do is cook =)

I tried to follow Poh's recipe to the tee, but found the dough was way too sticky. So I just agar-agar it and made it based on feeling. It worked! I incorporated sweet potato and pandan on the outer skin, and for fillings I made 2: black sesame and gula melaka or palm sugar. I think I'm in love with palm sugar. It's rich and caramelised like brown sugar, but has a fragrant aroma that's just amazing. For coating it I used grated coconut and more black sesame.

Here are the sweet potato ondeh ondeh with palm sugar, and black sesame ones on the side:

I especailly love that when you bite into it, the melted sugar comes oozing outside, and it's still warm and fresh... so yummy~!

These are the pandan ones:

The coatings got mixed in the end... black sesame and coconut. The flavours work well together though.







No comments:

Post a Comment