Sunday, July 11, 2010

Green Tea Swiss Roll

I baked a swiss roll today! The thing that had me most worried was of course the sponge cake roll. The rolling part I was not so fussed about. It was the beating of the eggs, and folding in of flour; like what if I over mixed and the mixture lost its airiness? It'll just become a dense cake instead of it being light and fluffy. And I was careful not to over bake it either, or it would form cracks and not roll at all.

So here I am, watching it like a paranoid parent hawk. Constant Vigilance!

Woohoo it's out! I rolled it up immediately once it was out of the oven, and set it aside to cool. I was really pleased with it, it rolled up nicely with arguably minimal cracking. That crack in the picture does not look as bad on the cake, really. Heh.

Now for the filling. I had a bottle of cream, but it was unlabelled. So I couldn't be sure if it was whipping cream, or just normal heavy cream. I decided to mix it with an electric mixer anyway.

After 6 minutes....the mixture still looked the same. "Yea, It's not whipping cream." My brother helpfully supplied. Thank you, Captain Obvious. So into the bin the failed 'whipped' cream went, and I just spread some jam over it.

The cake is a bit crumbly, so I should have added in butter.

The combinations are endless with swiss rolls. For a chocolate sponge, add cocoa powder instead of green tea. Fillings could include, chocolate butter-cream, nutella. peanut butter, or ice cream for an ice cream roll. Hey, maybe I should try that next time.


Another plus: This cake has no fat at all, totally guilt free! I made it with just flour, sugar, eggs, and baking powder.


Oh yes, my mum made Kimchi. It's fermented cabbage, which sounds odd, but tastes so good! It's actually one of the healthiest foods in the world. It really packs a punch, because it's so spicy! I'm training my tongue to withstand spicy food, and I think it is working? Then I can eat laksa without drinking a litre of water next time I go back to Singapore, haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment