Sunday, July 18, 2010

White chocolate and raspberry...eggs??

My friend's birthday is tomorrow, so I wanted to bake her something special. Cupcakes seem perfect, but I had a twist. I would bake them in eggs! Granted, the appearance is questionable.
"It looks like you baked chicks still in their shells." My brother remarked. And I agree, it's slightly horrifying. BUT! Once you crack them open, there is no question that these are white chocolate cakes with gooey raspberries! In Chinese tradition, we normally have eggs on our birthdays anyway, which symbolises happiness and renewal of life, so the concept is perfect. Never mind that my friend is not Asian.

Making these are so troublesome. Even though the results are excellent, I wouldn't bake these again in eggshells. It took me 2 weeks to get 20 egg shells. It needed to be poked with a knife to create a small hole for the egg yolk and egg white to come out. After the 2 weeks, I was so happy to be able to crack eggs normally again.

The cupcake batter went everywhere when I was piping it in the eggs, it was so sticky! It must be due to the white chocolate in the mixture. I also filled it too much, so during the baking process it overflowed out of the shells like larva out of a volcano. But I trimmed the edges, thus it looks decent.


The taste is delicious! Super soft, with the rich taste of white chocolate paired with raspberries. Those two flavours are like a match made in heaven, they pair with each other so well. There are actually three layers to this egg cake: the bottom is the white chocolate mix, middle is raspberry puree and top is the batter mixed with green tea powder. The green tea taste is not really apparent, as well as the colour. I should have added more, perhaps.


Really can't see the layers... *sigh* I cut it in the wrong place, so the raspberry filling can't be seen either. Oops!

My friend really liked it. The first reactions were generally, "How do I eat this?" It's amusing to see them peel the eggs, hahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment