Saturday, June 11, 2011

Kuih Lapis (Kueh Lapis?)

I had a craving for something sweet and chewy, and spotted a can of coconut milk in the pantry. AHA! Let me make kuih lapis! It is a sweet memory from my childhood, in Singapore, every weekend morning we would go down to the markets, and these aunties would have trays on nonyadelicacies: Ang koo kueh, pandan chiffon, fresh soy bean, grass jelly, banana cake, curry puffs, tapioca kueh... ahhhh really miss nonya food now... I remember I would always peel the layers of multicoloured kueh lapis off one by one and eat it... so yummy~

I actually made it twice, the first time I tried to make three coloured layers. But because I only had pandan paste, I could only do green and white. So I tried to make a red layer with beetroot juice. Who knew, the after steaming the red colour would completely disappear?? What I was left with was this:


There was supposed to be red in there somewhere! I'm going to buy food colouring next time...


The second time I just made it green and white.


It came out more evenly toned, with alternating pandan and coconut layers.



It totally solved my craving. I was even able to peel the layers off one by one, haha!



No comments:

Post a Comment