Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Pumpkins~!

It's been pumpkin season for a while now, and in the markets they sell for around $0.70 - $0.98 per kg. What a bargain! Usually we just bake them in the oven and eat them piping hot, but I wanted to try using them in my baking as well. I made pumpkin cake and a pumpkin mochi cake. I was craving something soft and chewy at that time, and a mochi cake sounded delicious.

This is the pumpkin cake, which was surprisingly soft and chewy despite it having no glutinous flour in it. I almost thought this was the mochi cake instead. I think I actually prefer this one over the real mochi cake, haha.

This one is the mochi cake, nice springy texture. Both cakes fulfilled my craving for a chewy yet healthy snack. Healthy because I used no fat or sugar, the moistness comes from the pumpkin puree and sweetness from honey.

The top and bottoms were crispy, while the inside was soft and chewy. I like to reheat it in the microwave and eat it warm with cranberry jam, so yummy~

I was also curious to see how toasted pumpkin seeds would taste like. I baked them with the pumpkins for ~30-40 mins. They were great! Nice, roasted flavour through them. Nothing from the pumpkin is wasted =D

I baked mini white chocolate and mixed fruit cookies for my Uncle's BBQ. I was experimenting with the fillings.


No comments:

Post a Comment