Saturday, June 11, 2011

Zong Zi (粽子)

The season to make zong zi has arrived! My mum came back home from Box Hill, arms laden with banana leaves, a sack of glutinous rice, chestnuts, meat, dried shrimp, etc...

I tried to learn the art of making zong zi from my mum. She does it at this superhuman speed; once i blink my eyes, she's already done wrapping.

See how fast she is? My camera can't even follow her even though she slowed down for me. Luckily I took a video as well. My zong zi looked like a crooked square next to her perfect pyramidal-shaped one, so I'm still trying to perfect my wrapping skills...

Zong zi all ready for steaming~! This is only the third batch. We made A LOT, around 40+? So we gave them out to relatives and friends. Anyway, we made two types: savoury and sweet. The savoury ones are filled with chestnuts, dried shrimp and pork. The sweet ones are simply filled with red bean paste. Both are delicious, though I prefer the red bean ones because I have a sweet tooth.

The savoury ones =D
They are sooo good when eaten piping hot. Total comfort food.

And the red bean. I love the chewy rice with the sweet red bean paste, yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment