Saturday, June 11, 2011

Exam Food Cravings and a Celebration Cake

Argh! I spot cyber cobwebs! *brushes them off* Oh my gosh, when was my last post? In March?? I haven't blogged in 2+ months... wow. But I've got lots of things to post up! Will do so ALL in one go.

First, let me show you what I've been consuming during swot vac week. I started having these sugar cravings from out of nowhere, causing me to look for two things: nougat and chocolate. I bought the nougat from this really good bakery near Queen Vic Market, where everything in the shop is made and baked fresh daily. Their nougat especially is to die for, soft and pillow-ly, filled with smoked flavour of nuts or fruit and covered with a thin layer of chocolate... Delicious! Not to mention they use orange blossom honey in their nougat, so I can taste the distinct honey flavour. Yum! By the way, I never knew nougat was pronounced "Nuu-gut". I always pronounced it "No-gat". It explained the strange looks every time I asked the shop assistant about their nougat.

Cherry cream torrone (another name for nougat) on top left ($8), blueberry and almonds ($5) on bottom left, and cherries, almonds, pistachios on the right ($12). They are all half eaten, so I'm sorry you can't see them in their full sugary goodness. I usually eat them on the spot when I buy them, haha... I've got no self-control whatsoever.

Pistachio ($12) on top, blueberry again on bottom.

And then there's the chocolate. I wanted either dark chocolate or chocolate coated hazelnuts. I got both in the end. Couldn't help myself! Dark choc blueberries ($9) are an added bonus: I ADORE blueberries, so I just had to try them together with dark chocolate. Two of my favourite things! I got the choc coated caramelised hazelnuts ($5) from Ganache, and grabbed an almond nougat from Haigh's. Along with a mango truffle that got demolished before I remembered to take a picture. But man, was it good. The creamy mango centre melts in your mouth, encased with hard shell of mango chocolate. Totally worth the $1.70!
And by the time I finished all my sweets, I just realised how much I have spent on all these confectionery. Strangely I don't regret it one bit. The nougat and chocolate are amazingly delicious, and gave me the sugar rush I need when studying for exams (or that's the excuse I'm using anyway).

My three-in-a-row science exams are finally over! So I celebrated with my brother in Le Petit Gateau, this awesome cake shop in the CBD. Their cakes are pretty famous, and I've been wanting to try them for ages. We bought a Hazelnut Mille Feuille ($7). I had no idea how to pronounce it, I just pointed to it really eagerly and they gave it to me, haha.

This cake was totally worth studying my butt off for. Absolutely divine. A surprisingly light cake, with layers of creamy mousse, a thin wafer of biscuit somewhere in the middle, praline and whole roasted hazelnuts all combined harmoniously together... It's like a cake form of ferrero rocher! It was sooooo tempting to get another after we polished it off. I'll definitely be back to try more of their cakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment